2021 has already ended, and still, many players are without the PlayStation 5. The console last appeared in the retailers on 30 December 2021 at AO after appearing in John Lewis & Partners. When will it be available again? Will it be a good investment for 2022? These are the questions players have been asking. The demand for the console is so high that whenever it appears in any retailer, it just disappears in the blink of an eye. Scroll through this article to know more about the PlayStation 5 problems, from restocking to other stuff.
PlayStation 5 is the ninth-generation home video game console developed by Sony Interactive Entertainment or SIE for short. It was released in New Zealand, Japan, Australia, North America, Singapore, and South Korea on 12 November 2020 and a week later worldwide. It was released with the Demon’s Soul and Miles Morales games.
PS5: Current Scenario
The new console in Sony’s flagship product line, PlayStation 5 is out for over a year now. But the fans still can not get their hand on it. There are three reasons as to why that is happening?
- The console is so famous that whenever it restocks in any retailer’s outlets, be it offline or online, it gets out of stock immediately. Sony confirmed that PlayStation 5, since its launch in late 2020, has sold around 15 million units.
- The PlayStation 5 launched during the pandemic. This pandemic led to a global semiconductor shortage. Due to this shortage, the availability of the console was limited and often unavailable for months.
- The third and one of, if not the big reasons for unavailability are the scalpers. The scalpers using their bots buys the majority of stocked-up consoles. And due to the shortage, they took advantage and started selling consoles at a very high price.
In 2021 the console was available several times, but the customers could not outpace the scalpers. Sony has taken many steps to stop the scalper’s attack. One of the things they have done is by launching PlayStation Direct. Sony owns and operates the PlayStation Direct.
Sony has not said anything about how much it sold in the fourth quarter of 2021, but in November 2021, they revealed that the total unit sold was 15 million units. It will be good to say that in 2021 the console sold anywhere between seven to eleven million units. It is still a hard fact to swallow that it is selling so much, considering there are still too many peoples around the globe who are not able to buy the console or even see one when it is restocked.
PlayStation 5 UK Restock – Will 2022 Be A Better Year To Buy A PlayStation 5?
As of writing this article, PlayStation 5 is still hard to get console along with its competitor. Sony ended 2021 quite well. They restocked PlayStation 5 in the UK at online retailer AO. But as usual, the stock was empty very quickly. So, if you were not able to get it, then do not worry, we will discuss the restock of the console, and will 2022 be a good year for it?
As AMD is the CPU and GPU provider for the PlayStation 5, CEO Lisa Su has said in an interview that she is impressed with the console demand. She added that 2022 is going to be a great and interesting year for the console and AMD. To meet the demand, Lisa said that they are ramping up the productions. She further added that the fourth year of any console is the peak year and, that year is 2023. “We will make sure to do everything to meet the demand during that time.”, she said.
There are many indications, neither fully confirmed, that PlayStation 5 will restock back again in many retailers. When that happens, people will have to keep all the available devices near them, as they will get out of stock fairly quickly. 2022 is also an important year for the console, mainly the first quarter, as many of its exclusive games are releasing this year. The PlayStation exclusives are:
- Horizon Forbidden West – 18 February 2022.
- Gran Turismo 7 – 4 March 2022.
- God of War Ragnarok – Fall 2022.
Other than exclusives, many great games are coming in 2022, and PlayStation 5 will be the great console to experience them. They are:
- Forspoken – 24 May 2022 (Timed exclusive for two years)
- Ghostwire Tokyo – 2022 (Timed exclusive)
- Elden Ring – 25 February 2022.
- Sifu – 8 February 2022 (Third-party exclusive)
- Stray – Early 2022.
- Uncharted Legacy Collection – 28 January 2022 (For PlayStation 5 only)
In conclusion, we can say that if PlayStation 5 is available and you can get one, then it is worth every penny, and in 2022 it is a very good investment due to the huge lineup of exclusive and non-exclusive games.
Also Read: 12 Vintage Anime To Watch in 2023