The person behind the most successful manga series to been published by Weekly Shonen Jump, One Piece.
We dedicate this post to the mastermind, Eiichiro Oda.
We’ll tell you ten things you should know about Eiichiro Oda!
10. Eiichiro Oda’s Birthday And Age
Eiichiro Oda was born on January 1st 1975, in Kumamoto City, Kumamoto Prefecture in Japan.
Eiichiro Oda claimed that he decided to become a manga artist at the age of four to dodge having to get a “real job”.
9. Inspiration For One Piece
Oda is a big fan of Akira Toriyama. In a Jump Interview, Oda was asked of his Inspirations. He said ”I Copied many traits and tropes for Luffy off Goku, So far the Manga that Encouraged me the most is Dragon Ball, and I guess the same could be said for many other manga Creators. But the plain fact is if there were no Dragon Ball, There would be no One Piece.
He also stated that his interest in pirates was sparked by the famous TV animation series named “Vicky the Viking”.
8. Eiichiro Oda’s Family
He devotes most of his life to One Piece. But, he does have a family! In 2002, he met Chiaki, who worked Nami during the Shonen Jump Festa and the two began dating. In 2004, they got married. In 2006, him and his wife had a daughter.
7. One Piece! Favorite Villain, Devil Fruit
– Favorite One Piece Villain: Buggy The Clown
– What Devil Fruit Would He Eat: Bara Bara No Mi / Chop-Chop Fruit
– Manga Character He Would Love To Be: Nico Robin
6. Oda Is A Fan Of…
– Oda is a huge fan of rapper Eminem.
– Oda is a fan of the Dragon Quest game series.
– Oda is a fan of singers Brook Benton, Bryan Adams, Izumi Katou, and Avril Lavigne.
– His favorite real-life pirate is Blackbeard.
– He is a fan of Mexican Food.
– He wishes to visit Mongolia, Maldives, and India.
– His favorite music is 70’s Soul Music.
5. Eiichiro Oda’s Dedication To One Piece And His Fans
It’s given that Oda is committed to the One Piece, as well as the followers who support him. But, did you grasp what limit his commitment goes to? Well, if you thought his dedication ended with just working twenty-one hours a day and six days a week, you are mistaken!
When Eiichiro Oda was hospitalized in 2013, Masashi Kishimoto visited him at the hospital and witnessed Oda drawing next chapters of One Piece, while he was bedridden!
4. Eiichiro Oda’s Future Plans
Eiichiro Oda had said that he would want to create a robot manga after One Piece finishes. However, he later said that after One Piece finishes, he would like to take the same path as Toriyama did, and create short-story manga.
3. Eiichiro Oda’s Lifestyle
-He’s a smoker (in-fact, a chain smoker) and fans believe this is due to the “stress” involved in the profession.
-When asked what his schedule for the week is, he answered “three days of sketching and three days of serving on the final piece”.
-Eiichiro Oda fantasizes about products that can’t be made with present technology.
-He wakes up at five am, work till two am (21 hours!) and he sleeps from two am until five am (3 hours) on an average day.
-He prefers to work with the least number of assistance needed and he prefers to draw the majority of the chapters himself.
2. Eiichiro Oda Has Received Death Threats
In 2007, Eiichiro Oda received not one or two, but, roughly one hundred threats (via e-mail) from a woman between September to December.
The woman’s husband was an assistant at Oda’s office, who had been dismissed; the woman was arrested in 2009.
1. Eiichiro Oda’s Apology For a 2 Week Break
Something every One Piece fan needs to know is Eiichiro Oda was hospitalized for peritonsillar abscess; One Piece was put on hiatus for two weeks.
He issued an apology for making fans wait “two weeks” to resume reading One Piece and the adventures of the Straw Hat Pirates.